What is a Kodi TV Box and How Does It Work?

By | January 18, 2017

what-is-a-kodi-tv-box

Kodi is software for free media viewing on a TV box or other device. The Kodi box channels available are endless and you can watch free TV from all over the World. The Kodi box is usually fully loaded with the software, especially when you buy it from Amazon. So, what is a Kodi TV box and how exactly does it work?

Jump to:

Introduction

Kodi was formerly known as XBMC (X-Box Media Center). In actual fact, most people still call it that. When you open Kodi it still has the XBMC logo.

When I first started using XBMC it was on a jailbroken Apple TV (2nd generation). The Apple TV cost me around $120 if I remember correctly. These days you don’t have to pay anything like that.

The format on XBMC hasn’t changed since then. Everything is free and once you start using it you will open up a brand new World of free TV.

Is using a Kodi box legal or can you be charged?

The actual Kodi box itself is legal. Adding the software is legal. However, using the software to view channels which have subscriptions may have consequences.kodi-box-channels

It’s a bit of a grey area to be honest. Whenever I was using Kodi it was to watch UK TV from overseas so it didn’t really affect me, or worry me.

But there is an ongoing court case in the UK which could have consequences for anyone wishing to use a Kodi box for Sky Sports or other paid channels.

Brian Thompson, a Kodi box reseller from Middlesbrough has been charged with selling the boxes fully loaded with Kodi.

He is due in court in May this year and if he is found guilty it could have a damaging effect on the sale of Kodi boxes in the UK.

How can you use Kodi wthout worrying?

If you are worried about being caught, especially if you are in the UK, a good VPN can hide your identity. This would allow you to use Kodi without anyone knowing about it.

With the introduction of the Snoopers’ Charter in the UK it is seriously dangerous using Kodi to watch free TV.

A VPN from one of my best 10 VPN providers would allow you to watch anonymously.

The VPN is installed under Settings on the TV box. Depending on the box it will probably be located under Network.

You need to get the VPN server name from your VPN provider. You will also need to enter your user name and password.

best-kodi-box-for-uk

If you are outside of the UK and not particularly too worried about using it, then you wouldn’t need a VPN.

Unless of course, you are trying to access geo-restricted content. There are add-ons like BBC iPlayer that won’t allow you to watch unless you are in the UK.

A good VPN would allow you to connect to the UK server and access BBC iPlayer.

The Kodi box setup and installation

To install the free software you can download it from the TV Add-ons website or the Google Play Store. An add-on is just another name for an app (application) that is installed and can be opened to view free TV channels or open links to media files.

It can’t be used on iPhone or iPad unless you jailbreak them but it can be installed on a Windows or Android device with no issues.

Jailbreaking your iDevices is not something I can promote here. However, there is more information on the TV Add-ons website.

It can also be used on Mac, Fire Stick TV, NVIDA shield TV, Raspberry Pi, OUYA, Linux and Kodibuntu devices. There is also a custom version of Kodi called FreeTelly which installs it with pre-configured add-ons.

For this exercise we shall focus on installing the original Kodi version for Mac or Android and setting it up.

Once you have installed the software and opened Kodi for the first time you may notice that it has already installed some add-ons.

My videos below explain how to use Kodi after installation and how to add a new add-on of your choice.

Once you have installed and setup your add-ons there is nothing else to do. Sit back, relax and enjoy your free viewing.

Internet requirements

A word of caution.

Kodi recommend an internet speed of 10Mb/s. I would advise you to subscribe to the fastest available service with your ISP and also use fiber optic broadband if possible.buy-a-kodi-box-on-amazon

Without high speed internet you will, more than likely, experience buffering. This occurs when it cannot cache enough data to stream continuously.

You’ve probably seen this happen on YouTube. Well, the same applies to Kodi I’m afraid. There are a few things you can do to reduce buffering but you may not be able to eliminate it completely.

This is because Kodi relies on users adding streams. When media is uploaded and links added, these are accessible to everyone.

Because it is free TV and everyone is using it, this can affect the bandwidth.

A solution for slower internet

There is another IPTV option available which has no buffering and only requires an internet speed of 3Mb/s.

This is a paid subscription with packages starting from €15. You can choose from UK, USA and Canada channels.

You do need a MAG TV box as opposed to a standard Android TV box but you can easily buy one of these on Amazon. Check out my recommendations here.

It is far more impressive than Kodi and everything is arranged into a simple menu like your cable or satellite provider.

My supplier is NTV and I subscribe to the English package at €29 monthly. I have a video showing it in operation on my Live and Catch Up TV page.

Please note: this system is only available to use outside of the UK.

kodi-box-on-ebay

Which Kodi box channels (add-ons) are the best?

Whether you are planning to use your Kodi box for Sky Sports, Sky News, HBO or other channels, below are the top 5 choices for Sports, Movies and other genres.

This is just a short list. There are literally hundreds and thousands of different add-ons for a whole range of genres.

There are Indian, Filipino, Chinese, Russian, etc. The list is endless.

Also included in the top 5 below is the repo name for each add-on.

In no particular order:

Sports

1. SportsDevil (Unofficial SportsDevil Repository)
  2. Castaway (natko1412 repo)
  3. Phoenix (TV Addons repo)
  4. ZemTV (Shanis addon repo)
  5. UK Turk Playlist (MetalKettles repo)

Movies / TV Shows

1. Primewire/1Channel (tknorris repo)
  2. Exodus (Exodus repo)
  3. Velocity (Blazetamer’s repo)
  4. The Royal We (dudehere repo)
  5. Anarchy Movies (sonsofanarchy repo)

News

1. CBSN News (official kodi repo)
  2. TV (kinkins repo)
  3. Russia Today News (official kodi repo)
  4. Al Jazeera (official kodi repo)
  5. Livestream (official kodi repo)

Buying a Kodi box on Amazon

Amazon is great for buying Android TV boxes because there is so many choices. Rather than hunting for a specific Kodi box you can filter all of them and choose which one you want.

Another reason I prefer using Amazon is the warranty and shipping insurance. You can also add 4 or 5 year warranties before you purchase the TV box.

Before you buy a Kodi box from Amazon be sure to check out my recommended Kodi boxes. Please be wary of buying “any old box” from Amazon. I have years of experience buying these boxes and the cheap ones tend to be cheap for a reason.

top-kodi-boxes

What else can a Kodi box be used for?

The actual box is just an android TV box. Kodi is only one application that can be installed on it.

Anything from the Google Play Store can also be installed. That means you can use the TV box to watch Netflix, HULU or any other app.

You can also install any compatible program from the internet browser on the box menu.

If you are into gaming, it can be used to play games. Obviously the higher the spec of TV box, the better the game performance.

You can also watch external movies on a USB stick or even view photos from your albums. These boxes support a wide range of media formats.

Top 3 Kodi Box recommendations

There are some really great boxes being introduced now. The advent of 8 Core (octa core) technology means faster boxes.

The good thing is, this hasn’t affected the prices. You can still get a great Octa Core TV box for a fraction more than the old Quad Core TV boxes.

My top 3 recommendations are below. Each of these come fully loaded with Kodi and other apps. If you click on each link it will take you directly to my Review for each box.

1. Kukele S912 TV box
  2. Akaso T95Z TV box
  3. Dragon Box DB5 TV box

Conclusion

I hope you have discovered what a Kodi TV box is and how it works.

If you have found this article useful please share or leave a comment below.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

Proprietor at UK TV Services Abroad
I am a UK expat who has lived overseas since 1997. I started this website to help fellow expats who are trying to watch UK TV abroad. I built this website for free with the help and support of a wonderful online community. Click here if you want to read my profile. It's free to join and you can build 2 websites for free.

59 thoughts on “What is a Kodi TV Box and How Does It Work?

1. jettaranda

The kodi box sounds really interesting especially since the cable companies are charging an arm and a leg for their services.

I personally like the Dragon Box DB5 TV box. It seems to offer the best for the amount that it cost. I will look into this a bit more as my mother loves watching shows from her county.

Hi Jettaranda,

Thanks for your feedback.

The DB5 is indeed a very popular TV box. They are all good and pretty much do the same thing.The double antenna certainly will make a difference if you are not hard-wired by Ethernet.

Best wishes,

2. Matt's Mom

This sounds great and I live in the U.S. thankfully, so no worries. I have a few questions as I am not super familiar with Kodi. So I can cancel my Dish TV and get all the shows I normally watch for free? I love ION television, HGTV, DIY, and then just the regular network channels. If I can get these, I am sold! Paying for satellite or cable is just getting ridiculous.

Hi Matt’s Mom,

I have good news for you. You can get all the DishWorld Live TV on Kodi. There is a Video Add-on called Navi-X and there is links on there for Dish World. It is under a lnik called Live International TV.

So, there you have it, free TV once you have purchased your TV box 🙂

Hope this helps.

3. Carson

I didn’t even know that things like the Kodi TV Box existed until I read this. It seems like an interesting concept, and I may just have to give one a try. Thanks also for going over how to make sure you’re safe with it, because the legalities concerned me for a bit in the beginning.

Hey Carson,

Yes, there are no legal implications as of yet but the way things are going is a bit of a worry. I’m not sure how the powers-that-be can even police something like Kodi but with the Snoopers’ Charter in the UK they have even more surveillance powers now.

Cheers,

4. Tam

I’m currently in a remote mountain region in the United States. Internet connectivity is spotty at best at times. Would Kodi allow me to download content for more stable viewing? (such as SlingTV) Or would Kodi replace SlingTV? I’m still learning about all this and how it works. ~ Tam

Hi Tam,

Kodi and SlingTV are different concepts. You can download movies and TV shows on various Kodi add-ons to watch later but it’s not something that would be compatible with SlingTV. However, you do need some sort of internet connectivity before you can download anything on Kodi.

I usually download movies and TV shows and copy to my tablet to watch when I am travelling.

5. Hero

This is soo cool. I never knew that it was possible to watch movies and shows without actually paying every month. I think there’s also ways to add Kodi to the phone and computer but I think that requires jailbreaking or rooting your device (if you want to add Kodi to your phone). This is cool, I hope that people can take advantage of this opportunity.

Hi Hero,

Yes Kodi has been around for quite a few years, starting off as XBMC but same format. The software is free to download and you’re right, it can be installed on android phones or tablets. Jailbreaking is for iDevices like iPhone, iPad, etc.

– Craig

6. Vanessa

Some friends of the family just told us about KODI the other day, but they couldn’t really explain to us how it worked, so unfortunately we were left at a loss for what to think. Especially about the legalities of such devices… From what you’ve written it actually sounds pretty cool, and very legit, not some shady internet tv box. 🙂

Hi Vanessa,

Yup, there’s no crime in using a Kodi box at the moment. It’s just a great way to watch free TV. What I also like is how fast things are available after they air on TV. They are usually available with a couple of hours.

That’s the beauty of the internet!

– Craig.

7. Eris

Kodi is such an awesome application. I have tech nerd friend who talked me into getting a NVIDIA Shield to emulate some of my older cartridge games. He installed the Kodi App for me. It is amazing. I’ve never been a fan of regular cable because of the commercials and cost. I only watch TV series and movies, so I wasn’t sure of the capabilities for sports and news. It’s good to know that they are also available.

People at my work have been talking about these black boxes. Is there a benefit to getting one of the boxes versus just installing the application on a Firestick, smart TV, etc.?

Hi Eris,

The Firestick will do the same job, but with an android box you have access to the Play Store and all the apps that can be downloaded.

You can install the Play store on a Firestick but it means rooting it, which can be a bit of a work up. I’m a bit like you, I use Kodi for TV shows and movies. It’s not ideal for live streaming, especially with my ISP! I just wish I could get a fiber optic connection here.

There are some really great options for the android TV boxes now that 8-core technology is coming as standard. Take a look at the Akaso T95Z TV box. It’s well worth the money.

– Craig

8. Andrew G

Being a sports enthusiast, I would have to say this does not provide the solutions most sports fans need in american sports such as football, basketball, and baseball, therefore I hope I provide a transparent opinion for use on your site, of which perhaps an international sports fan could also provide opinion. Thanks for review!

Hi Andrew,

All of the sports you mention are available on Kodi. The problem comes when the buffering starts when you are watching live streams. Most people have pretty standard internet connections and it just doesn’t cut the mustard I’m afraid.

I would recommend you check out this article which explains how to watch Sky Sports in USA.

– Craig

9. Dec

Hi Craig.

I´ve been looking at this topic for a long time and i´m using a mag 254 box at the moment. Having read your info i think switching to Kodi from my box would definitely be an upgrade.

My Mag box i don´t think is compatible with Netflix and the like for one thing and can at times be irritatingly unreliable.

Thanks for arming me with the info to make a highly informed decision….it´s time for a change at my house.

Hi Dec,

Yes I also use a MAG 254 TV box but that is for my IPTV subscription with NTV. You could always try NTV free trial for 3 days and see how that works for you. Let me know, I can hook you up with a free trial or if you register with NTV they will give you one. The good thing is you already have a MAG TV box.

Cheers,

10. Ryan

I thought TV viewing was pretty 2-dimensional until I saw this post. Not being restricted to my local provider makes me keen to see a broader horizon but do I need to stick to watching US and UK channels in order to avoid any legal issues?
    This certainly seems like a great investment for the future.

1. Craig Post author

Hey Ryan, you can watch whatever you want, from whichever country you want. If you are still worried about legal issues why no use a good VPN like PureVPN? That would mean your identity would be protected, wherever you are in the World.

11. Stijn

A lot of my friends are a fan of Kodi tv boxes so I decided to get one for myself also. I ordered the Raspberry Pi with Kodi preinstalled. It took some step by step guides to set it up in a correct way but after a while I got it up and running.

It’s not just great to watch shows and movies with it that I wouldn’t be able to watch in my country (I’m from Belgium) otherwise without buying full Blu ray boxes. But it’s also nice to have different channels, streams, music to watch and listen with it.

The only thing that bothers me is the connection, it has a wifi module because connecting it with a cable is not an option. (no network plug near it). So I’m guessing that is the problem there. Is it the raspberry pi that doesn’t work in a good way with wifi alone or is it a common problem? If not, what other kodi box would you suggest that would work great with wifi?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Stijn,

Yes it sounds like your WiFi problem could be coming from lack of antenna. If you had a TV box with antenna, that would improve the reception immensely. You could take a look at the Kukele TV box. This has 2 external antennae and is top of the range.

If this box is a bit out of your price range, a good alternative would be KAT TV. If you read my article you will see how impressive this box is. It comes with 8 Premium subscription channels, for free! This means that you will have endless top-quality channels available for live sports, movies, TV shows, etc. The KAT TV has one external antenna.

Hope this helps and thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Craig.

12. Kalie Downey

Hey Craig. Great review you’ve got here. I just had one question. Are there ethical issues with watching paid subscriptions for free? Even if I live outside the UK and would probably never get prosecuted, would I still be stealing in a way? I just wondered what your perspective was. Thanks! -Kalie-

Hi Kalie,
      There are no issues watching UK TV abroad with a paid subscription. However, if you were to use the MAG box in the UK and the supplier (NTV) found out about it, you would be banned. They would block your MAG box and end your subscription. It seems quite harsh but they could get into a lot of trouble so they have to abide by the rules. But overseas, absolutely no problem.
      Craig.

13. Marley Dawkins

Oh wow this Kodi tv box sounds amazing really considering how cheap an option it is, compared to having costly monthly subscriptions to Sky and BT and the like – this gives people a great alternative to the mainstream dogma.

Can this be downloaded for all types of android phones or only certain models?

1. Craig Post author

Hi Marley, any Android device will be compatible. You can choose which version of the OS to install on the Kodi installation page but they generally work across all versions. As the phones get bigger, it’s becoming more feasible to watch TV on your mobile device – and for free!

Cheers,

14. Chris Towers

Hi there.

I wanted to let you know that I am from the UK but I live in Greece now.

I have a Kodi box for ease of television viewing channels from all over the world and I have to say I love it.

I am not a huge TV fan as it goes, but it is always nice to catch up with some programs that I would not normally see here.

I wanted to ask, when it comes to this court case that you talk about, is there a chance that these services will disappear in the future?

I am not afraid as I am living abroad, but if it is going to affect viewings later, maybe there are also other options available?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

They won’t disappear because the legislation won’t affect every country in the World. However, in some countries, especially UK with the Snoopers’ Charter, they could easily check up on you. If they find that you are watching illegal streams on Kodi then you could be charged.

If you have the VPN connected they won’t be able to locate your IP address so you would be safe. That’s why it is so important to have a good VPN like PureVPN installed.

You are in Greece so you won’t be affected in the short term.

Best wishes,

15. Derek Marshall

Hi there Craig,

Great site and an excellent introduction to Kodi for me. I happen to live abroad (Malaysia and Thailand). Will this device work locally? I mean..will I be able to get proper sky sports and watch the live premier league football?

How necessary is a fast internet connection? I do mean would 3g/4g mobile speeds be fine?

Hi Derek,

I also live in Malaysia and use it here. I prefer to use my MAG box with my NTV subscription for Sky Sports but if you don’t want to take a NTV subscription then using Kodi will be fine. You will get buffering with 4G though.

In fact, I still get buffering with 30Mb/s. My ISP is TM Unifi but it isn’t fiber optic.

Cheers,

16. David

Hi Great Site!

Very informative re Kodi, I currently use one of these boxes and it really has changed my tv lifestyle. Cable TV actually doesn’t even get watched anymore, might have to switch to just internet and Telephone .

One thing I’ve found with my version anyway, is the updating process is so intricate. My father in law is a techy and he walks me through a 20 step process, sometimes while he’s driving so I can’t imagine how he recalls everything.

But I’ll definitely keep an eye on your site for new developments.

Hi David,

When you say updating I’m not sure if you mean updating the app, the firmware or the Kodi version.

If it’s the apps then I’d recommend you buy a Kodi box that has the auto-update feature. I use a Matricom G-Box which has this feature. Another one that has the auto-update is the Kukele TV box.

If it is the firmware or the version of Kodi then this involves downloading online and can be a bit intricate unless you know what you are doing. If you take a look on TVADDons website you will get more information for downloading and installing. You need to make sure you choose the correct file for your OS.

Best wishes,

17. Roman

I have a friend who has been struggling with the idea of getting rid of his cable service, but isn’t really super tech savvy and is worried that he wouldn’t be able to comprehend quite how a Kodi Box would work. Would you say it’s relatively easy to access the program once you have it set up?

Hi Roman,

Some of the Kodi TV boxes come with a pre-configured UI (user interface) which would make it easier for your friend to navigate around the system.

If you take a look at the KAT TV box or Streaming Wizard Box you will see that they have an installation wizard that sets everything up for the user.

These pre-configured installations are quite useful and designed to make everything more user friendly. KAT TV also comes with 8 x Premium subscription channels included in the price.

Best wishes,

18. Brandon

Hey there!

I’ve been watching Kody from a distance ever since I heard about it and all that it does. I’ve actually installed a version of it on my iPhone through some certificate authentications a while back but that was about it so I’m glad to learn more about it.

What would you say is the biggest risk when using this program, if there is any?

Hi Brandon,

Currently there are no real risks but future legislation may change that, especially in the UK. With the introduction of the Snoopers’ Charter in the UK it means the government agencies can now see what you are doing online.

If the courts rule that using Kodi is illegal in the UK that would mean you could be targeted. The way around that would be to use a good VPN like VyprVPN to give you anonymity when using Kodi.

Cheers,

19. Chris

Very interesting, I did not know these boxes were out there. I haven’t really paid attention to much since the Roku and Apple TV boxes came out. Because of my location, I’ve been stuck with satellite TV but looking at the progression of these types of devices the satellite companies and cable companies better take notice. As the Internet is getting cheaper and more wide spread, more and more people will start using it for their services.

Hi Chris,

Absolutely. More and more people are turning away from expensive TV services like cable or satellite to save money. Kodi offers everything that you can watch with a subscription service like cable.

As long as you have a good internet connection (10Mb/s or above) then Kodi is a great option.

Regards,

Craig.

20. Luke

This article is very helpful for insights on how to use a Kodi TV box. This would be very helpful when trying to watch certain TV channels and shows while traveling or living abroad. Since I’ve been living abroad the last 4 months I know first hand how hard it can be.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your feedback. Depending on which country you are in, it can indeed be quite frustrating. I’m glad I could be of some assistance.

Best,

21. andrejs

Kodi box looks good solution to watch TV, and you correctly mentioned about legality issues.
    I live in Latvia and have used many different internet based TV access sources, but seldom I think about the legality of this action.
    It was still a couple years ago but not today. Your another post about VPN services is the great source just still in confusion which one to choose.
    In fact, there are some other legal online activities where personal information is better to be hidden from prying eyes.

Hi Andrejs,

Thanks for leaving some feedback. Yes, a good VPN can also be used to watch TV with Kodi. In the UK it’s crucial in fact, thanks to the advent of the Snoopers’ Charter. In Australia they also have government snoopers and it’s a worrying trend. I’m not sure what it’s like in Latvia but it’s better to be safe than sorry. With a Kodi box you can connect to your VPN before watching Kodi. Most of the latest Android TV boxes have this functionality now.

Best,

22. FIFOSmoj

Interesting stuff. I’ve been getting most of the things I watch through my PC via Bittorrent, which works pretty well for me, apart from for watching anything live.
    I guess I’ve been complacent for a while, and haven’t needed to look around much.
    So I never knew anything like Kodi even existed.
    I’ll be looking into this further…
    Cheers!

1. Craig Post author

Thanks for your feedback. Yup, Kodi has been around for some time now and it’s definitely worth downloading for free. You get access to 1000’s of channels Worldwide as well as on-demand movies and TV shows.

Remember, you need 10Mb/s minimum speed though.

I’d be careful if you are using Bittorrent. I’d recommend thinking about using a good VPN for that, due to the legalities.

Best,

23. Jim

I am very impressed with your website. I definitely have a lot to learn. I am also interested in the product you sell. I’ve never heard of this. Is it compatible within the U.S.? I imagine a lot of people would be on board with free television. Best of luck.

Hi JIm,

Yes of course. All of the products on my website can be used in the U.S. Kodi is very popular now. I have a lor of old friends in the UK who all own Android TV boxes running Kodi but they should seriously be thinking about using a good VPN with it. The Snoopers’ Charter in the UK is already being enforced and the government are accessing personal information on devices/computers and sharing with 50 agencies.

24. Thomas

Hey, great article. I have been using streaming providers like Netflix and Spotify for TV and music for a long time now. However, we do miss some of the normal flow TV channels every now and then. This box offers a good alternative to expensive channel packages which are normal in Europe.

1. Craig Post author

Hey Thomas, thanks for the kind words. Netflix is a good way to watch no-demand programs but you’re right, for streaming live TV we all need some kind of access and Kodi fits the bill, if you have high-speed internet. Obviously NTV are better for Live TV if you want buffer-free and access to a 14 day catch-up service.

Cheers, Craig

25. scott

I am from Canada. I use my kodi box everyday! Ive never heard of anyone getting in trouble here but it is definitely frowned upon by crtc. As long as you have a decent internet connection anyone can enjoy their favs on the best plugins. I love seeing in theater content when good copies get sneaked and leaked ! Great read my friend !

1. Craig Post author

Thanks Scott, yes a decent internet connection is a definite requirement and even then you may still experience buffering on poor links. A lot of it is connected to the time of day and what the volume is for using the links. Anyway, thanks for feedback.

2. Ashok Bangia

This is a very easy to understand helpful site from Craig. Craigs site and articles are so lucid and informative. Very helpful. I am writing to ask Scott, as well as Craig for some advise. Scott because, he is in Canada as I too am in Canada. I too am tired of paying these TV providers every month. However my dilemmna is to decide which is better- watching through an IPTV box like MAG 254 w2 or buying an Android box from Costco- like Evolv TV, MyGica ATV or Matricom GBox Q2.
      Not very internet savvy- I dont want any issues and uninterrupted and friendly way to watch TV programs. Most of my friends use the IPTV through a provider, paying a subscription monthly, whereas I believe with an Android box- its a one time expense for the box. But not many people in my circle are aware of this Android box, except one, who works for iBM so he’s okay
      I was told that an Android box is not my cup of tea, as I may get stuck oon the programming and other updates and technacalities , so just subscribe though iptv .
      Can you or Craig advise please! Thanks !
      Of course – I am interested to watch Indian TV in addition to the US . Canada, UK channels – if that info helps.

Hi Ashok,

Thanks for the kind words, I do try my best to be objective when it comes to my articles and reviews. Scott is right when he says using Kodi is frowned upon, not just in Canada but other countries too.

I personally haven’t heard of any user being prosecuted, the authorities are mainly targeting sellers who include boxes that are “fully loaded” with Kodi addons that access material or channels that are subject to copyright.

However, it’s only a matter of time before they do target users, in my opinion. That is why I endorse using a good VPN that will mask your IP address. In the UK the ISPs are now obliged to block any servers that host copyright material. It’s now officially the Law and the ISP can get in trouble if they don’t block such servers.

I am sure in time, ISPs in other countries may follow suit and block servers. Regarding the IPTV subscription, it’s by far the easiest way to watch live channels and my supplier will work in any country outside of the UK. I already have customers who are based in Canada and USA.

You can also use my supplier with an android box. You just have to install a STB emulator like Matrix Browser, from the Play Store. However, the only way to get access to the 14 day catch up in with a MAG box subscription starting at 29.95 euros.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need any more info or would like a 3 day trial, free of charge of course.

26. KW

I had installed Kodi on my laptop a while aback, like two years. I used it a couple of times but jut found it was a bit too cumbersome. I’ve heard that there are some upgrades and it’s much better now. What I did not know is that there’s a TV box. How stable is the box though? Does it run smoothly?

1. Craig Post author

Hi KW, yes I also have Kodi on my laptop as I find it easier to download movies or TV shows on my laptop. I can then copy them to my tablet so I can watch when traveling. The new version is a bit more slick but takes some getting used to.

The boxes are pretty stable, it really depends on the box though. Obviously there are cheap generic ones on the market that are not really good and can be a waste of money. The boxes I recommend all run smoothly but it obviously depends on a lot of factors like internet speed, ISP, servers, etc.

Cheers,

27. Mark

Hey Craig

Great review on the Kodi Box… I actually have one myself and it’s probably the best thing since sliced bread. Me and my family love it!! There is a plethora of channels and media to choose from… I’d be lost without it. Your article actually answered a few questions I’ve always had about Kodi… whether it was legal or not. I actually purchased my box through a distributor. At the time of my purchase I don’t think Amazon was selling them. Nonetheless… I enjoyed reading your article.

Thanks

1. Craig Post author

Hi Mark, thanks for the feedback. You’re spot on, Kodi is great for free TV and I’ve been using it for a long time but for live streaming it can’t come close to a paid subscription with NTV. Kodi is something I will always use though, especially when searching for old movies or TV shows. I’m kind of lucky that I’m not in the UK with the fast approaching court case against Brian Thompson in May. That could affect a lot of Brits who use Kodi without a VPN to protect their identity.

Cheers, Craig

28. Holly Ann

Looking great work dear, I really appreciated to you on this quality work. Nice post!! these tips may help me for future.

29. Heidi

Excuse my stupid question: I read about this box in another article of yours. You say you can use it for Netflix etc. So my question: I watch all live streaming on my Mac Computer. Do I understand right that the box is serving to be able to watch streaming on a TV set?

Yes Heidi.

The TV box turns your TV into a Smart TV and allows you to watch on the big screen. If you already own a Smart TV then you can download Netflix directly from your TV.