If you are looking for a powerful Android TV box that won’t break the bank, look no further than the R-BOX Pro with Amlogic S912. This box can run anything.
This TV Box is available at Amazon and Gearbest but the best price is on Geekbuying. Right now they have a Flash Sale and you can save 41% on the price. It’s on offer right now at $64.99 and they will deliver Worldwide.
Over at Geekbuying you can also choose which plug you need before you buy. This is a great option and one which every store should supply.
Before we get started in this review, if you are looking for the latest firmware update for the R-BOX Pro you can download it by clicking here.
R-BOX Pro TV Box Full Review
Flash Price: $64.99 + FREE shipping
Best place to buy: Geekbuying
Product size: 4.84 x 4.84 x 0.98 inches
Weight: 1.2 pounds
Connections: Ethernet & WiFi
Guarantee: 1 year
Geekbuying rating: 5/5
What’s in the box?
- 1 x TV Box
- 1 x I/R remote control
- 1 x HDMI cable
- 1 x User manual
- 1 x Power adapter
- OS: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- CPU: Amlogic S912 Octa core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU up to 2GHz
- GPU: ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU up to 750MHz
- 3GB of DDR3 RAM
- 16GB EMMC Flash Storage
- Expandable with TF CARD up to 32GB
- Dual Band WiFi: 2.4GHZ/5.8GHZ 802.11a/b/g/n
- Gigabit Ethernet: 10/100M/1000M
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Built-in HDMI 2.0a transmitter including both controller and PHY with HDR, CEC and HDCP 2,2, 4Kx2K@60 max. resolution output
- VP9-10 Profile-2 up to 4Kx2K@60fps
- H.265 HEVC MP-10@L5.1 up to 4Kx2K@60fps
- H.264 AVC HP@L5.1 up to 4Kx2K@30fps
- H.264 MVC up to 1080P @60fps
- MPEG-4 ASP@L5 up to 1080P@60fps (ISO-14496)
- WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP up to 1080P@60fps
- AVS-P16(AVS+) /AVS-P2 JiZhun Profile up to 1080P@60fps
- MPEG-2 MP/HL up to 1080P@60fps (ISO-13818)
- MPEG-1 MP/HL up to 1080P@60fps (ISO-11172)
- RealVideo 8/9/10 up to 1080P@60fps
- WebM up to VGA
- Multiple language and multiple format sub-title video support
- MJPEG and JPEG unlimited pixel resolution decoding (ISO/IEC-10918)
- Supports JPEG thumbnail, scaling, rotation and transition effects
- Supports *.mkv,*.wmv,*.mpg, *.mpeg, *.dat, *.avi, *.mov, *.iso, *.mp4, *.rm and *.jpg file
- Audio Supported: Audio Container:supports MP3 / AAC / WMA / RM / FLAC / OGG and
programmable with 5.1 down-mixing
- Audio Out: HDMI/SPDIF Data Output
- Picture Supported: HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
- Max. resolution 4K/2K@60FPS
- HDMI 2.0
- 1 x HDMI
- 4 x USB ports
- 1 x SPDIF
- 1 x AV
- 1 x Micro SD card (TF card) reader
This box returned an overall score of 35,000 on AnTuTu benchmark which is decent but not the best for the S912 SoC. I have received higher scores on boxes with this CPU running on 2GB of RAM. One such box is the Beelink GT1 which came in at 41,000.
This box was tested with Kodi v17 Krypton and performed very well indeed. 4K files will run without any issue and games with heavy graphics are also handled without any problem. The 3GB of RAM definitely makes a difference with gaming apps.
There is no OTA updater so you will have to install the firmware update yourself which is a bit of a disappointment. The remote control is generic and you will be frustrated if you don’t use a wireless keyboard.
Pros and Cons
Things I liked:
- Price in Flash Sale
- 3GB of RAM
- Performance with Kodi and games
- Gigabit Ethernet and Dual Band WiFi
Things I didn’t like:
- No OTA updater
- No external antenna
- Remote control
R-BOX Pro and Kodi
This TV box also comes with Mobdro installed so you could use this as an alternative to Kodi. Mobdro searches the internet for links to media but Kodi is far easier to use and more flexible.
However, Kodi is in the firing line right now and add-ons are being shut down on a regular basis. This is because some add-ons contain illegal streams which is why Amazon stopped promoting boxes that come with Kodi.
You could face prosecution if you are caught accessing illegal streams on Kodi so if you are not sure of the streams legality it’s best to protect yourself with a VPN. This is a small price to pay for protection in my opinion.
You can also use it across all of your devices too of course. My #1 recommended VPN provider is PureVPN and they have a special offer on right now for only $2.95 / month. Using a VPN with Kodi is now super easy.
Some of the add-ons that have been closed down on Kodi are TVAddons, Phoenix and Exodus. However, you can still get Exodus if you install a different repo from another source.
I have more information on alternative add-ons to the old Fusion repo which you can access by clicking here. Another way to get access to Exodus is by installing a custom Kodi Build like Cosmic Saints.
A Better Alternative to Kodi
We all love free TV and Kodi is more popular than ever. However, it does fall down a bit with Live TV channels. I tend to use it for watching movies or TV shows on demand but my main TV system is a paid IPTV subscription.
I was previously paying around $70 per month for my cable TV but I know there are people who pay a lot more than this. When I discovered that I could get premium channels for only €29.95 it was the driving force behind this website.
My IPTV supplier also has a 14 day Catch Up feature on popular channels and there is no contract. You pay month by month. I can set you up with a 3 day FREE Trial if you would like to try it. My email address is at the end of this article.
Thanks for reading my review. The R-BOX Pro with Amlogic S912 and 3GB of RAM is definitely a box I would recommend. If you found this article useful why not sign up to our FREE newsletter?